Friday, July 16, 2010

A meat-free life

The juicing thing has allowed John and I to both drop weight easily (easily, meaning if the fact that you're hungry far more than you're not doesn't drive you mad with irritability first), despite a few off nights. It's led me to think about what being a vegetarian might be like. Amazingly enough, I don't think I need meat to survive. I'd be perfectly happy with beans and eggs and cheese and amazing protein powders like this one - look at all the great stuff in it! (At least until we find out in ten years what's wrong with stevia). And it's hardly sweet at all, either, which is actually quite refreshing. Anyway, vegetarianism, although I'll be avoiding the tofu, mostly, because soy is no good for my jacked-up hormones.


In my quest to avoid all the crits I need to do for both the Fragments and OWW, as well as my own hapless revisions, I stumbled on this ad of Pam Anderson for PETA, which yes, I'm re-posting here.

Honestly, I think it's a fantastic ad. She's right. PETA's right, even though it's all a bit creepy. And now I feel bad about my happy meat-eating life, which isn't helped by both Kitty and Buddy passed out next to me - Kitty on the desk in front of the keyboard, Buddy on the floor next to my chair - and the fact that they have all these body parts, too. I would never in a million years eat them, even though I warn them that if they don't do some cleaning around here I'm going to snack on their haunches. Doesn't it change anything if my cows are grass-fed and free-range? Happy chickens and pigs?

I'm going to go juice some watermelon and green apple and ginger for breakfast, I think, and make a loaf of bread for John, later. No meat for me today. Poor animals.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So does the loaf of bread (once cooked), go in the blender too?

Hopefully John is OK after his swimming heroics yeaterday. Had I been there, more people would have been thrown in.

Erin Stocks said...

Haha, no! It sure doesn't.

You should have seen the gunk the dr pulled out of his ear this morning. 10 years worth of wax. Not pretty. :) But at least he's not in pain anymore!

John tried to throw Jen in, but she wouldn't let him. I think he might have gotten Dana, though!